Monday, June 28, 2010

Choosing Glory

I cannot say enough good about the book Choosing Glory by Lili de Hoyos Anderson!  It has really changed my life.  (As a side note, most books I read lately have been life changing.  Is that because I am open to change, or just getting really good books to read?)
Sister Anderson has a three realms perspective about life and the choices we make.  Here's the kicker for me - being a good, Church-going LDS person is a solid terrestrial life.  What?  You mean there's more I have to do to inherit the Celesital Kingdom?
I went to a Conference on Saturday and attended a class on Meditation.  The speaker, Philip McLemore, said a lot of the same things I read in Choosing Glory.  It was amazing!  A second witness. 
I've been thinking about the three realms perspective in a lot of ways - entertainment, food, education.  For example, telestial choices in food would be lots of processed, dead food.  Not good for your body or spirit.  Terrestrial choices would be a whole foods diet.  Celestial, in my opinion, would be mostly raw fruits and vegetables.  As Sister Anderson points out, it is difficult to live celestial principles without having a solid terrestrial base. 
For entertainment, Misty has been doing a series of posts on telestial and terrestrial choices.  I'm not sure what celestial entertainment would be.  Perhaps it is better defined as the arts, and is all that glorifies God and brings attention to Him.
In the food example, you would need to adjust your tastes by eating a good, whold foods diet, before you can move on to the cleaner, raw produce diet.
Education - telestial is a government mandated schooling.  Terrestrial is a classical education.  Celestial is a God-given education, like Joseph Smith had.  You would need the basics of the terrestial, knowing how to read, how to study, how to think, and especially how to learn by the Spirit before you could have the Holy Ghost teach you what you need to know.
More to come.  In the meantime, check out the book!