Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Be Still, And Know That I Am God

Have you ever noticed a subject or idea that keeps coming popping up on you?  That subject for me lately is meditation.  It is on blogs I read, in books I read, in an upcoming conference I'm attending.  And it is in the scriptures.
Felice, at The Gift of Giving Life, is offering her wisdom on meditation. It has been tremendously helpful for me, especially the one for more patience!
Meditation is not easy.  It is the work of quieting the mind to be able to more clearly hear the Divine.
In our house, we are trying one minute of meditation in the evenings.  We repeat silently in our minds "I am a child of God" or something along those lines. 
With five young children, it can be hard to find a quiet moment in my day.  I want to make those brief moments of higher quality, more communion with my Maker.
I love this passage from Psalms 107.  It reminded me of the storms that are often raging in my mind.
28 Then they cry unto the Lord in their trouble, and he bringeth them out of their distresses.

29 He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still.

30 Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven.

31 Oh that men would praise the Lord for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!