Monday, March 8, 2010

Balak and Problem Solving

In Numbers 24, Balak is asking Balaam to curse Israel.  Three times he builds seven alters and offers a bullock and a ram on each alter, to petition God to curse Israel.  Three times Balaam comes back with a blessing for Israel.
I couldn't help but think, isn't there another way for Balak to get what he really wants?  I'm speculating that what he really wants is safety for himself and his people against the mighty and numerous host of Israel.  He thinks the only way to survive is for Israel to be cursed.  Couldn't he have asked just for protection?  Or asked what he needed to do to be protected, or even allied with Israel?
Then, I thought, how often are my prayers like that.  I have a problem and I can only think of one way to fix it.  So, I pray and pray, with great faith, for the Lord to do what I want.  I make offerings, promises, change the location of my praying, even go to the temple.  And yet, the thing I request is not granted.  It is certainly not that the Lord doesn't love me.
He also loved Balak.  Balak had access to a prophet.  The Lord told Balaam to tell Balak what He said.  Balak was petitioning the One True God.
Our God is an awesome God.  He sees all, knows all.  He knows better solutions to our problems than we do.  What if we were to ask for inspiration on how to solve our problems and truly open our hearts and minds to His answers?